ComPortOne Cemetery Sites for the Midwest

Cemeteries in Northern Illinois

CHEMUNG CEMETERY - EST

Chemung Township, McHenry County, Illinois

Chemung Cemetery is located in Chemung. Highway 173; go north on Oak Grove Road, follow the curve to east. The cemetery lies on the north side of the road. There is no name at the location. There is no road going into the cemetery, you must park along the road. It was established in 1845 with land purchased by Henry Stevens. His son Hiram is buried there - Hiram Stevens Co. E 95 Ill Inf. GAR. It is one of the oldest cemeteries in the county, supposedly abandoned by 1885 when a cemetery was established on the area Methodist church grounds. It is now maintained by Chemung Township.

chemung63.jpg - 4502 Bytes
chemung45.jpg - 6365 Bytes
A fence surrounds the cemetery.
Farm on east side
chemung46.jpg - 5456 Bytes
chemung48.jpg - 7891 Bytes
Waity SHIPPE monument b 1780 - 1858
Unreadable monument
chemung61.jpg - 7477 Bytes
chemung53.jpg - 9938 Bytes
Damaged monuments
Sam'll A. PATCHIN Co. E 95 Ill Inf.
chemung47.jpg - 7048 Bytes
chemung49.jpg - 10088 Bytes
Only the bottom remains.
Broken monuments in corner.

Photographs taken on 3.16.2002

Cemeteries in McHenry County

Cemeteries in Northern Illinois
Cemeteries in Southern Wisconsin

ComPortOne Home Page

Pictures taken by C Eccles, researcher for CPO This website created, hosted and maintained by ComPortOne.