ComPortOne Cemetery Sites for the Midwest

Cemeteries in Southern Wisconsin

JEFFERSON PRAIRIE EAST CEMETERY - EST 1849

aka EAST BERGEN CEMETERY

Clinton Township, Rock County, Wisconsin

In the Jefferson Prairie East Cemetery is a marker to indicate the site of the East Church which was also known as the Brick Church. The 2-acre site was purchased in 1848 from Gulik Knudsen for $3.10. The church was constructed the following year. This cemetery has a large area of unmarked graves of cholera epidemic victims. In 1903 the congregations of East Church and West Church merged and now handle the management of both cemeteries.

ebergen36.jpg - 4328 Bytes
ebergen37.jpg - 8306 Bytes
A long dirt road leads to the cemetery
The sign is obstructed by the pine trees
ebergen28.jpg - 7088 Bytes
ebergen35.jpg - 3779 Bytes
Angel monument overlooks cemetery
Cemetery is recently mowed
ebergen22.jpg - 4718 Bytes
ebergen30.jpg - 6050 Bytes
Carrie w/o Peter HYNNING 1870-1899
An obedient daughter and a loving wife
A few monuments in the cemetery
are in need of repair


Cemeteries in Rock County

Cemeteries in Northern Illinois
Cemeteries in Southern Wisconsin

ComPortOne Home Page

Historical information regarding the cemeteries in Clinton Township was primarily found in Clinton Bicentennial 1776-1976 and the Beloit Wisconsin Veteran's Association


ComPortOne Home Page Copyright© 1996-2008 ComPortOne. All Rights Reserved
Questions, Comments or Corrections? Email ComPortOne
Website created, hosted and maintained by www.ComPortOne.com