cpoinformation.gif - 2048 Bytes

Lee County - Illinois
Map of its Townships

Lee County was established on February 27, 1839. It is in the northern 1/3 of the state of Illinois. It borders Whiteside County on the west, Ogle County on the north, Dekalb County on the east and Bureau and LaSalle Counties on the south.
See #14 on the Illinois Counties Map


The Townships of Lee County, Illinois

leecountytownship.gif - 10012 Bytes

This is only a representation. For a more detailed map, contact Lee County.

For genealogists and historians - Township history

Established: 1839 County Seat: 1839 - Dixon

Township Names:
Alto formed from Willow Creek 1860.
Ashton formed as Ogle from Bradford 1861; name changed to Ashton 1867.
China name changed from Fremont 1850.
East Grove formed from Hamilton 1864.
Harmon formed from Marion 1857.
Marion formed from Hamilton and Amboy 1854.
May formed from Hamilton 1854.
Nachusa formed from China 1871.
Nelson formed from Dixon 1860.
Reynolds formed from Brooklyn 1858.
South Dixon formed from Dixon 1867.
Sublette name changed from Hanno.
Viola formed as Stockton from Brooklyn 1861; and changed to Viola later that year.
Willow Creek formed from Wyoming 1854.
Wyoming name changed from Paw Paw 1850.

The present county, or parts of it, were formerly included in:
Ogle, LaSalle, Putnam, Jo Daviess, Fulton, Pike, Clark, Crawford, Edwards, Bond, Madison, St Clair.

Origin of the name of the county:
Named for Richard Henry Lee, an orator and statesman of the Revolutionary period, a member of the Continental Congress, a Representative in Congress and United States Senator from Virginia. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See also:
Lee County Statistical Information
Lee County Cemeteries


Communities of Northern Illinois
ComPortOne Government Home Page
ComPortOne Home Page